Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Eglise Orthodoxe des Saints Archanges

Paris is always full of surprises. It's enough to turn right instead of the usual left to find a new world, a different Paris in front of you. Couple of week ago we were walking down the Rue Mouffetard in the 5th arrondissement, when we turned into Rue de Carmes and then took a short cut with some stairs to Rue Jean de Beauvais. I stood with Meggie in front of this little Orthodoxe church and we both had the urge to go in. Orthodoxe Churches are quite different : they are smaller, more intimate and less austere. There are carpets on the floors and there isn't a distance beetwen the minister and the faithful : it's a whole. Meggie liked it very much and we sit for a moment for a little pray. On january 1st I decided to show this church to my parents. We started at Place Monge, walked up the Rue Mouffetard, walked by the Pantheon, and finally found the right street again. To my disappointment churches are closed on January 1st! While I was checking all the gates, to see if one was open, a man approached and asked me if I wanted to enter the church! I replied that my daughter liked this church very much! This priest opened the Church just for us, asked the guy that was cleaning to stop for a moment and I was able to show this little jewel to my mom. Then I sat with Meggie, prayed and then lighted two candles to this peaceful dark-skinned Madonna! When it was time to leave the Pope made his way into his Church, greeted us and wished Meggie and me a Happy New Year!

No comments: