Sunday, February 04, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment.I came to Rosings only to see you. I have fought against judgement, my family's expectation, the inferiority of your birth, my rank. I will put them aside and ask you to end my agony. - I don't understand.- I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honour of accepting my hand. Sir, I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. It was unconsciously done. - Is this your reply?- Yes, sir. - Are you laughing at me?- No. Are you rejecting me? I'm sure the feelings which hinderedyour regard will help you overcome it. Might I ask why with so little civilityI am thus repulsed? I might enquire why you told me you liked me against your better judgement?

No comments: